Monday, August 18, 2008

George Ella Lyon

http://www.georgeellalyon.com/where.html

A Children's Writer from Kentucky inspires us to consider where we are from. The graduate students I am teaching this fall, I hope, will enjoy reflecting about their own culture as they enter into studying Children's Literature from diverse perspectives.

A wonderful professor I had at Duke, Stephen Dunning, believed that we can learn to write poetry as we learn to shoot a free throw, or hit a forehand. We look to an expert, then we copy/and change to what feels natural for us. And we thank them. So many years I watched my sons jump on a trampoline to dunk a basketball ball like Michael Jordon. It was thrilling. When Dr. Dunning applied this teaching method to poetry, he called it, "Getting the Knack." I love it, and have used it for years to learn and to teach.

1 comment:

Ginnie said...

Hi Sarah: I'm so glad that you are giving your blog a second chance. Your poem is lovely and I look forward to whatever else you have to share with us.
Lots of hugs, Ginnie